Monday, September 9, 2013

Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society #3) by Ally Carter

Release date: February 5, 2013
Author info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Pages: 328
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting-or stealing-whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line.

When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir-this time, Hale might be the mark.

Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.
I'm a little afraid of this review just being the same as my reviews of the previous two books, but I just couldn't help myself. I had to write a review for Perfect Scoundrels! Even as it follows a general formula Ally Carter set up in book one, this third book in the series feels just as fresh, new, and fun as the first--even as the stakes are raised and more personal than ever.

I can easily say that I can't think of any other series that makes me as happy as this one. It doesn't matter that it's improbable and silly. The characters are so appealing and memorable. The heists are elaborate but easily followed. I can read each of these books in one sitting (and did so!) and they bring so much pleasure; I'm always in a good mood upon finishing one.

With this third installment, though, we finally get a bit of peek behind Hale's mask. He's still a bit of an enigma (What do those W's stand for, for goodness sake??) but he becomes so much more than Kat's closest friend and the guy with the money. His vulnerabilities are exposed and the stakes of the heist will affect him more than anyone else.

The Heist Society books are just pure fun. In all three reviews I've written thus far, I haven't come up with a better word and I doubt I will. Even as I'm just as emotionally invested as I might be in a larger, more "serious" book, I never stop enjoying myself. There's something to be said for books that bring such joy.

And y'all, I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment