Thursday, January 23, 2014

Let's Talk About... Finishing Series

Last year, it seemed like a lot of series ended. I mean, Allegiant, Boundless, Champion, and The Bitter Kingdom all were released in 2013, just to name a few off the top of my head. And you know what? Out of those four, I've read one. I don't know what's come over me, but I've stopped finishing series.

I get thrilled for the last book and I get a copy of it, but once I have my copy, it sits on my shelf for ages. I got Boundless about a year ago and I've not picked it up once. It sits on my shelf, gathering dust. So now I have to ask myself: Why?

In looking at the four books I listed, I notice that with the three I've not read, I had distinct trepidation in finishing the series even before reviews appeared. But when reviews began to show up, they were not what I was hoping they'd be, especially with Allegiant. And as soon as people said they were disappointed, I couldn't bring myself to read the books, to be disappointed as well. I read The Bitter Kingdom because the couple of reviews I'd seen were wholly positive, and I somehow trusted the series to end the way I wanted it to.

I don't what it is. I'm perfectly happy to read second books. But I think I've got at least ten series-ending books that I've not read and probably won't for a while, probably until I force myself.

So what about you? Do you immediately start series-ending books because you want to see what happens? Or do you put it off? 

No comments:

Post a Comment