Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Release date: May 22, 2012
Author info: WebsiteFacebook
Publisher: Square Fish
Format: Paperback
Pages: 324
Source: Purchased
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Although I had never seen him before, I recognized him immediately. I'd have known his voice anywhere. This was the guy I'd seen on my last journey back in time.

Or more precisely, the one who'd kissed my doppelganger while I was hiding behind the curtain in disbelief.

Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-traveling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any century . . .
After attempting to trudge through Perfect Ruin for over a week, Ruby Red is exactly the kind of book I needed to read. It was such a quick, engaging, and intriguing read that it kept me turning the pages until the end suddenly appeared. And now I'm just wishing I didn't have to read for school so I could start the sequel!

In modern-day London, Gwendolyn Shepherd's family is an odd one. Certain members inherit the ability to travel through time and Gwen has just learned that she is one of them--though it's her cousin Charlotte who has been trained with the intention to travel back from a young age. Now, Gwen is in a crash course to learn as much as possible about travelling through time, all while dealing with the frustrating and frustratingly good-looking Gideon, who travels with her. But nothing about dealing with the Guardians--those in charge of the travelling--is simple, and it seems that no one is telling the whole truth.

There's a lot about Ruby Red that I loved, big and small. I liked the secret society feeling that I was getting from the Guardians and can't wait to see how that is developed, whether their mission is good or bad, and it's set up just right. We can't tell just who is really looking out for the good of all or for themselves. I also loved Gwen's relationship with Lesley, which was so genuine and nice to read--and Lesley was hilarious herself. (And Titanic reference, yesssss.)

I also really liked Gwen. She could come off a little bit whiny once or twice, but for the most part I thought she was fun and feisty, and she tells it like it is. She's not afraid to share her mind or point out injustices. Her thoughts when meeting Lord Brampton were AMAZING.

I am so happy that I finally picked up this book! It'd been on my shelf for at least a year and a half, just waiting to be loved. (Plus all three books are out now, so I can read them alllll. Muahaha.) Ruby Red is a must-read for those who love time travel with a lot of mystery. It's a perfect afternoon read, and I promise you'll fly through it and be happy you did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment