Thursday, July 21, 2011

Follow Friday and Book Blogger Hop Numero Dos!

Friday has come again. That means Follow Friday and Book Blogger Hop time!

Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee each week and is a joint effort between all of us bloggers to get more followers. Plus, each week a different question is asked, and I get to answer it! So here goes:





Q. Name 3 authors that you would love to sit down and spend an hour or a meal with just talking about either their books or get advice on writing from?
 
Me: First and foremost, Robin McKinley. She is the first author I that I loved so much I read everything she had written. I didn't care what it was about. If Robin wrote it, I read it. And I was absolutely never disappointed. Her writing is lovely and lyrical, and I like to think she speaks in the same way she writes, which may or may not be true. :) Next, I would want to dine with Juliet Marillier.  I found Ms. Marillier relatively recently (as in 2 years ago), but I have been entranced by her writing since. Both authors have a poetic and very beautiful style, which I am obviously attracted to. Also, they both almost exclusively write with female heroines, and they are always strong, real girls (never not a plus.) My third author would have to be J.K. Rowling. Ms. Rowling wrote the world's biggest series, but stays so humble and real. Plus, I'd just have to learn how on earth she planned Harry Potter so intricately so far ahead! It blows my mind every time I think about it.



Book Blogger Hop


Book Blogger Hop is a weekly par-tay for book bloggers to connect! It's hosted by Crazy for Books (follow that link to get to this week's Blogger Hop post!) and lasts Friday through Monday every week! And we get another exciting question, here goes:


Q. What’s the ONE GENRE that you wish you could get into, but just can’t?

Me: I would seriously love to love mystery novels. Can't. Just can't. I don't know why, but I can't seem to like them, no matter how many I try. I can do a book that more solidly fits into another genre, but has mystery (as, obviously, most books have SOME kind of mystery), but never a book branded just as mystery. Poo.

Wellllll. That's it! Feel free to post links to your Follow Friday or Blogger Hop posts and I'll check them out! Have a fine weekend all! 

25 comments:

  1. Hopping through. Awesome - another mystery hater. It's one genre that I've never been into. I don't know why, because as you said, almost every book has an element of mystery. But I just don't like them.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers! I also put JK! It also blows my mind how even the smallest details in the books all line up! New follower!

    Monica
    http://monicamustread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might have to pick up something by Robin McKinley, then. ;)

    New Follower from: Niina's 2nd FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I'm hopping through.
    Have a great weekend!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of the mystery series that have some sort of gimmick to them. I read so many of them as a kid that I feel like I've gotten them out of my system.

    Since last week's pie chart about where I get my books was so popular, I thought I'd share what types of books I do read. Please stop by to see which genres I don't typically read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am a new follower just stopping by to show some love.

    The only author on your list that I have heard of is JK Rowling. I too would love to meet her.

    Danielle @Ramblings From This Chick

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first love for books was the Nancy Drew Mysteries. I guess my genre is eclectic.
    I wish I could read paranormal/fantasy but just can't see to get into it.
    Following you on GFC.

    http://itstimetoreadmamaw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. SNAP for J.K. Rowling, that woman is a writing god. I must have read her books infinity to the power of pi times (whoops... i'm sorry, did i just out myself as a maths nerd?)
    As for the mystery thing, i love reading them, but the annoying thing is there only good for one read. Although, anything by Agatha Christie is well worth it, i recommend you try And Then There Were None by her if you haven't already.
    Have an awesome weekend, and please come over and say hi!
    Imo
    http://omnom-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty interesting. Mystery is usually something some people can get addicted to :P But of course everyone has different tastes :)

    My Answer

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, would you read a mystery with other Genres chucked in? like a YA romance with a big mystery in it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi,

    I'm a new follower from Parajunkee's Follow Friday. I picked J.K. Rowling too. =)

    Char @ From the Shadows I Review

    http://shadowsireview.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choices. I almost chose J.K. Rowling but instead I chose...well, you can go on over to Fuzzy.Coffee.Books and check it out if you like! New follower! Have a great weekend!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  13. New FF. Mysteries are tough. I just finished reviewing a book that was a mystery and I loved it. Then again, it was a horror...hmm. I can't remember the last mystery book I read that was just a mystery. Cam Jansen?

    Wow, I am really bad then.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also put JK. :P I love Robin McKinley too, though. New follower hopping through!

    Have a good weekend! :)

    Reader's Refuge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great picks! I agree with Rowling. I'm sad to see the end of the HP era. I'm a new follower! My answers are up at Coffee Table Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  16. New follower! Found on Follow Friday! :) I also put JK Rowling on my list as well -- seems like she's quite popular, looking around everyone's blogs!

    If you'd like to visit my own FF post, it is here: http://skyink.net/?p=2397

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hiya, it's me! :) I'm sorry to hear you can't get into mysteries. For me, it depends. I do have a serious crush on Sherlock Holmes - don't tell anyone. ><

    http://watercolormoods.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-blogger-hop-72111.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Robin McKinley, what a great choice. I love her books.
    I have actually met J.K. Rowling! She did a booksigning at my bookstore, and she was a total trooper! Scholastic booked her with us before she got really famous, and they were surprised when we had people camping out at 6 am, and lined around the block to see her. Jo was exhausted, but she didn't let down any of the kids, she just put on a brave face, and signed for them all, with a smile. I'd love to meet her again under less stressful circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your blog.Yes! I hate mystery thrillers. There is nothing there! Nothing new. Fantasy and paranormal is much more fun.
    Stop at my blog, Rachel
    Book & Movie Depository

    http://bmdepository.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love J. K. Rowling as well! Harry Potter is the most awesomest thing ever.

    I'm a new follower and hope you will consider stopping by my follow post here.

    Have a great weekend!

    http://lariswriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just hoppin by.... Oh that's such a shame - coming from a LOVER of a great mystery book. I so enjoy the anticipation of the next gotcha!

    Drop by Pineapples & Pyjamas to see my answer

    MIchelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey!
    I am a new follower!
    I agree Mysteries just don't hold my interest, but at the same time I want my books to have some mystery to them! That's just how it is!
    here's my answer:
    http://thoughtsofareelfoothoodrat.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-blogger-hop-722-725.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi. Happy Belated FF from a new follower. Interesting choices.

    http://shikiharu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd love, love, love to have like an hour alone with Rowling just to chat. I'm not a big mystery person either. A little mystery keeps a book interesting but like you, I'm not into straight mystery books much.

    ReplyDelete