Monday, July 18, 2011

Need by Carrie Jones

From Goodreads: 

Zara collects phobias the way other girls collect Facebook friends. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara. 


I really am one of those people that get completely enticed into a book based on the cover. I had seen Need a few times at the bookstore and once on Goodread's Bookswap, but I had resisted. But one day recently, I had just gotten a paycheck, and Need showed up on Bookswap again, and I caved. I had, in fact, read the synopsis (above) and decided it looked intriguing, so I'm not completely superficial. :) And I am very glad I gave in to my cover lust.

Sometimes it really is flattering for someone to want you so badly they're a little creepy, but Mr. Pixie King in Need is on a whole new level. He stands outside and points at Zara and even impersonates her beloved, deceased stepfather, whom she is still mourning. Yes. Creep-o to the max.

Zara is such a fun character to read, in my opinion. Her phobia obsession is so quirky and unexpected, and I was quite interested to learn the names of so many things people are afraid of. On a random note, I have been reading a ton of YA books recently where the heroine is a runner. Is this to undermine me because somehow all YA authors know I look like a dope when I run? It's not a bad thing that they run, just an odd trend to notice... Think on it, guys... Maybe it's a conspiracy...

ANYWAYS, I also loved the supporting characters. Grandma Betty was the ultimate grandmother. She could be loving and understanding when you needed your grandmother, yet is totally kick-butt. She's active and funny, and can't cook, and I love her. Zara's friends are awesome too. They're definitely the type I'd like to hang out with. Issie is silly and sweet and totally loyal, and completely in love with Devyn. Devyn is crippled, but healing, and the son of psychiatrists, so he analyzes people, and knows almost as many phobias as Zara. And then there's Nick. Nick is gorgeous and mysterious, but has a raging hero-complex. We all know how that relationship is going to turn out. Wink wink.

I thought the storyline was well paced, and definitely kept me reading much longer than I'd planned. It did feel slightly like a set up, which was actually okay, because I enjoyed getting to know the characters and understanding the pixies and how they worked. While this is indeed a pixie book, it didn't feel so much like one. It's one of those books where it feels like real life, with something paranormal added into the mix. Because of this, it makes it feel like it could happen to me, which, of course, I love and fear at the same time.

I'm now quite anxious to read the next book, Captivate, which I have sitting next to my bed, just waiting. Hoorah! 

Risk a paper cut? Want something to read that has a good pace, likable characters, and is a promising beginning of a series? Well, you NEED to check Need out! (Hahahaha. I'm so punny.)

To buy: Amazon
           Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE FIRST BOOK.

    Really, I do.

    I want to go back and reread this, and Captivate, before I read the last one. It's been a while and I definitely need to refresh my memory.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book but it looks really original and interesting!

    I've always been scared of clowns and when I told my friend (a very cruel and evil friend) she actually said "Wow.... that's so weird. The fear of clowns is actually called 'Joaphobia'. Isn't that weird?!"

    I believed her for an embarassingly long time. I now know that the fear of clowns is Coulrophobia, if you're interested.

    Love this review and I've added this to my TBR list!
    Oh, and this cover is BEAUTIFUL.

    ps I look like a loser when I run aswell... don't worry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete