Friday, April 25, 2014

The Fairytale Survey

I know, I know, Mel did this ages ago, but I'm just that slow. :P I actually just wanted to do something different today, since it gets monotonous just posting the same things every week. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it all, but I like to change it up! I'm totally unpredictable like that. :) Note: All of the fairy tale illustrations are via Wikimedia Commons, except for the one from East of the Sun West of the Moon, which is from here.

The Fairytale Survey was created by Mel at The Daily Prophecy (and her answers are awesome, so you should go read hers!)

Part One: Classic Princesses



Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?
I don't think I've ever felt truly felt ashamed for liking a book, though I often feel slightly ashamed because I lie about having read certain books completely. *cough cough* War & Peace *cough cough* (I totally read a big chunk, but I needed to do other things, y'all.)






Beauty and the Beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?
Ooh, this is difficult! And I couldn't find one! But, here's a cover I was disappointed in: Into the Still Blue. I like the colors, but it looks like they just Photoshopped the people from the first two books onto the same picture. I loved the book, but the series ender deserved a better cover. 





Snow White – Hunted down for her beauty.
Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?
I do, but not often! Most recently? Probably These Broken Stars. I often wait a while to buy finished copies of books I get review copies of, simply because there's no rush, but the moment I finished TBS, I preordered a copy--largely because I just wanted that gorgeous cover on my shelves. (It didn't hurt that it was fabulous.)





Sleeping Beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true love's kiss.
 What is your favorite book couple?
EEE! There's a lot of competition, but I love almost no one as much as Elisa and Hector from the Girl of Fire and Thorns series. Their relationship is just perfect, and it's ridiculous that this series is so good their relationship is close to the bottom of the list of amazing aspects. I swoon each and every time.





Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?
It's maybe not technically out of my comfort zone (I read a lot of literary fiction for class, but it's not YA--obviously), but I just read Atonement for class, and might now be obsessed with it. It's such a gorgeous story and so well-executed. I highly recommend it.






Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
What is the last book that made you stay up all night?
I stayed up till 6 a.m. reading Stolen Songbird! I just couldn't put it down! It's a fascinating mythology and a beautiful romance that are just lovely. I often have more willpower than to stay up so late, but not this time!








Rapunzel – Locked up in a tower.
What is the worst book you’ve read last month?
I guess Sekret by Lindsay Smith? It's the lowest rating I've given in the last month, though I didn't totally hate it or anything. 2.5 stars. It was just meh and I didn't connect. Oh well.





Part Two: Mix-Match


Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?
I so enjoyed The Last Best Kiss, since it combined two loves: sweet romance and Jane Austen! I so enjoy retellings, but a lot aren't done that well, so it's a joy to find one that deals competently with the source and creates its own unique story.







Alice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole. 
Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?
Ooh, another world! It's not the most recent per se, but it's such a great setting: Across a Star-Swept Sea. I love the social dynamics and, well, everything about it!






East of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?
This is so difficult. In fact, I wrote a whole post about my favorite heroines! I couldn't pick just one. That's just cruel honestly. Some examples from the post? Isaboe and Quintana from the Lumatere Chronicles, Deuce from the Razorland books, and Katsa, Fire, and Bitterblue from the Graceling Realm!






The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?
Let's say Vampire Academy! I didn't love it, but I had been convinced I would hate it and it was surprisingly enjoyable! Still haven't seen the movie, which is probably a good thing. :)









Hansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.
Which duo is your favorite and why?
Duo... Duo... Hmm. OOH! They're not so much a duo in the first book, but in the second they are: Micah and Drystan in Shadowplay! I seriously love them together. :)







Little Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?
I actually have a shelf for this on Goodreads! It's not huge, but I'm organized. :) The most upsetting was Lost Voices. Gosh, that's a gorgeous cover, but I have seriously never been so angry reading a book as I was reading it. To add to my anger, I'm still curious about what happens in the second and third books.






Rumpelstiltskin – nobody knows his name.
Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?
There are so many books I could pick for this, but I'm going to go with Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley. (It's not a post about things I love without a RM mention!) Beauty is her better-known Beauty and the Beast retelling, but Rose Daughter is more complex and mature. 



So there we go! I had fun! I'd love to know your picks for any of these questions, in the comments here or if you did you own post (probably a while a go... Like I said, I'm behind!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment