Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

Release date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 352
Format: Advance Reader's Copy
Source: Page & Palette Bookstore
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Ebook available from: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | Google
Everything burns in Pandemonium--a city in Hell made of chrome and steel, where there is no future and life is an expanse of frozen time. That's where Daphne lives.
The daughter of a demon and a fallen angel, she wonders what lies in store for her. Will she become a soulless demon like her sisters? Or follow in the footsteps of her brothers Obie, whose life is devoted to saving lost souls on Earth? All she wants is to find a place where she belongs.

When Obie saves a bleeding, broken boy named Truman from the brink of death and then suddenly goes missing, Daphne runs away to Earth to find him. But on Earth, everything is colder and more terrifying, and Daphne struggles between her demon instincts and her growing--yet achingly unfamiliar--feelings for Truman. As Daphne and Truman search for Obie, they must navigate the jealousies and alliances of the violet archangels who stand in their way.

But Daphne also discovers, unexpectedly, what is means to love and be human in a world where human in the hardest thing to be.
To be quite honest, I did not want to read The Space Between. But I had the copy in my hands, and I knew I'd regret not reading it. So I did. That was one of the better decisions I've made recently. :) Brenna Yovanoff really has a knack for making what is dark and dingy seem beautiful and enlightening. What should be a gross novel about Hell and its denizens is instead a lovely novel about Earth and how love can make you.

Where do these names come from? I'm sorry, but Truman? All I can think of is The Truman Show. You know that Jim Carrey movie where his whole life is a reality show? Yeah... There are more odd ones, but I just wonder. I seem to recall the names in The Replacement being rather odd, too.

I do love the creativity here. Pandemonium is an interesting and mysterious place, filled with nooks and crannies I'd love to explore. The mythology involved is intriguing, and I always love a bit of ambiguity within good and bad. In this story, those we see as being good normally (angels especially) aren't presented as being all good, and those we normally see as bad aren't always bad. Things are being looked at from a different side, and it gives us a whole new view.

I thought the characterization was really well done, especially in the supporting characters. Everyone is distinct in their speech and actions. We can understand why Daphne does what she does and why Truman says what he says. I especially loved Raymie. Pairing the things she says with the image in my mind was always a kick.

The romance worked well for me, and I found myself dying to know just how the relationship was going to work, especially with the events close to the end. I needed to know, and the ending didn't disappoint. I also love that Brenna Yovanoff seems to like writing stand-alone books. I love series, but I also love books that are just happy on their own. I think sometimes authors get stuck in writing what they know and are afraid to branch out. But if readers love an author, they'll read whatever they write. I know that's how I feel about my favorite authors.

Risk a paper cut? This dirty tale of true love is eerie and beautiful. A perfect mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment