Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford

Release date: February 22, 2011
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Pages: 432
Format: Hardcover
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Ebook available from: Barnes & Noble | Amazon

Eden didn't expect Az. 


Not his saunter down the beach toward her. Not his unbelievable pick-up line. Not the instant, undeniable connection. And not his wings. 


Yeah. 


So long, happily-ever-after. Now trapped between life and death, cursed to spread chaos with her every touch, Eden could be the key in the eternal struggle between heaven and hell. All because she gave her heart to one of the Fallen, an angel cast out of heaven. 


She may lose everything she ever had. She may be betrayed by those she loves most. But Eden will not be a pawn in anyone else's game. Her heart is her own. 


And that's only the beginning of the end.


A Touch Mortal... My thoughts upon finishing it were confused, to say the least. I knew I liked it, but couldn't quite tell how much. At this point, I'm still a little confused about how I feel. I do know that I engulfed the book like there was no tomorrow, and that I'm dying for A Touch Morbid, the sequel. I'm going to put those two down as good things!


The immediately striking thing about the book is Leah's interpretation of angels, the fallen, and "Siders". There have been tons of ways to view angels, and most of them have been fascinating, but the addition of the Siders and the repercussions of their existence is what really captivated me. I like the idea that the very people who no longer want to exist in our world are punished to do just that, as a punishment of sorts. I very much likened them to zombies, in that they are technically dead and really are decomposing, but they're also completely and utterly different as well. Siders are definitely a creation unto themselves, and learning more about them should be interesting.


I also found myself a big fan of several of the characters, though at the same time I felt a little distance from them. I liked how they were all very imperfect. I don't know a single person who is perfect, and I can't identify in the least with fictional characters that are. Most everyone had their kryptonite, and that led to a lot of problems, but for the most part they were good people, or at least did what they believed was best. While I found myself admiring the characters in their flawed ways, I couldn't help but not feel close to them for some reason. I couldn't get myself into the mindset of Eden and figure out just why she did what she did, especially.


The plot is engaging and roils on at a quick pace, keeping you on your feet. I did see the biggest twists coming, but I do sit around sometimes contemplating plot... But the tightly wound story of Eden and her journey into the world of warring Heaven and Hell culminates in a truly heartbreaking ending that will make you beg for more.


Risk a paper cut? A Touch Mortal wraps you up in angel wings, leads you to a soft and lovely happy place, them dumps you on your butt, leaving you crying for more.... So.... Yeah, you should. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment