Monday, November 7, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Release date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 452
Format: Hardcover
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
Ebook available from: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | Google

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.
So. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Yeah, I loved it. Sure, I had problems with it. Nonetheless, it is definitely a new favorite. First, look at that cover!!! Oh my gahhh. It's so lovely, and once you've read the book, the idea of it just fits. Mara Dyer was nothing that I expected it to be, but so much more.

Michelle did an excellent job of portraying Mara's mental state. Many times I couldn't tell the difference between reality and Mara's delusions. And while I was confused much of the time, it wasn't a confusion that made the book in and of itself confusing. I knew what was going on, but I felt like I was living Mara's reality, which was awesome. And while nothing was really revealed, I was entertained for the whole book, and am quite ready for the second.

Mr. Noah Shaw needs his own paragraph. For a long time I couldn't figure out if I liked him or not, or if he was worthy of my diligence in deciding. But once we got to know him better, I decided positively on both counts. I found it a little cliche that he's "misunderstood", but he was convincing enough in that so I let him be misunderstood, and I understood Mara's obsession. By the end of the book I was quite endeared by him.(Though I didn't get him driving a Prius. Were I in his situation, I'd have something at least a little better. I don't like Priuses. [Is that the plural of Prius??])

My only real problem with the book lies with Mara, and only at times. I did feel like she ignored what was right in front of her face, just because of a boy. Sure, Noah was definitely someone you could ignore a lot for, but not when people are dying all around you. You'd think she would notice a trend there... I think the story needed more focus on what was going on, rather than Noah. Also, what was with her at the end? I mean, really?? Gahhhh.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was a book I was dying to read, and my excitement was justified and paid back quite well. The book was filled with mystery, romance, uncertainty, crazy, and fear. It had me on my knees (figuratively) for the entirety of the book, and I can't wait for the next one to find out more about Mara and Noah!

Risk a paper cut? A paper cut is the least of your fears when you're around Mara Dyer. (If that's unclear, yes, risk a paper cut!)

No comments:

Post a Comment