Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Forbidden by Megan Curd

Release date: October 22, 2011
Pages: 209
Format: Ebook
Source: Provided by author
Ebook available from: Amazon
Levi's job is to protect his human until it's their time to go. That's what a Guard does. He's done it for years on end, and he'll spend his eternity doing the same, mundane thing, following the same, mundane rules.

...Watch from afar.
...Never share your name.
...And above all, never touch a human.

What Levi doesn't know is that his newest human to protect, Hannah, just might be the catalyst to tipping the scales between good and evil, and he will be forced to decide which side he belongs to. Which friends will he side with, and who will he ultimately protect: his human, or the delicate balance that hangs on stopping the heartbeat of the person he has sworn to protect?

And, when you're already condemned, what's there to lose by breaking the rules?
Angel books! Forbidden was yet another new take on angels. I do love all the different views, and so far I've had pretty good experiences with all of them. I fear the angel book I read that ruins this...

Levi was a good protagonist. We could see his struggle between following the rules so he has a chance of being redeemed and doing what he believes is for the best. We understand the choice he makes in the end, and root for him the whole time. He had an individual voice and way of speaking. He doesn't believe he's good, and blames himself for a crime he didn't really commit. But we can see that he really is kind, and how hard he's fighting to be a better person, worthy of redemption.

The plot was fast paced and really kept me engaged. I just wanted to keep reading every time I finished a chapter. Things happened that I didn't expect, and I'm excited to find out what happens next!

My real complaint, and one that weighed rather heavily, was Hannah. I could not for the life of me figure out why Levi was willing to risk everything he worked for and break all kinds of rules for her. I could see why he did it, but I couldn't understand his attraction to her. She didn't do anything remotely remarkable or have any outstanding traits. She said mundane things and went to dances with other boys. Good on her. I could see so much more appeal in Angie. She was tough, outspoken, smart-mouthed, and really fought against the hand that was dealt to her. If someone broke every rule in the book for her, I'd get it.

Overall, though, I enjoyed reading Forbidden. Megan Curd has set up a different take on angel mythology that I would like to read more about. And though I don't like Hannah, I want to see more of the repercussions of Levi's actions.

Risk a paper cut? Well, you see, it's an ebook. There is no danger of paper cuts. So I will ask, risk electrocution? (Though I highly doubt you'd get electrocuted, so I quit trying to come up with something.) If you like angels, you'll definitely want to check it out. Otherwise, if you're in the mood for an utterly likable protagonist and fun supporting characters (and who isn't?), you'll enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment