Monday, July 30, 2012

Timepiece (Hourglass #2) by Myra McEntire


Release date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Format: Egalley
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher provided through Netgalley
Buy the book: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository

A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...


Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?


Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results. 


Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

I adored Hourglass. I loved the fascinating take on time travel, and I loved Emerson and everyone in her world. I was so very excited to read Timepiece and it really didn't disappoint. I don't think I could say I loved it quite as much as Hourglass, but it is very much a worthy sequel and I absolutely can't wait for the third book!

At first I was hesitant with Kaleb narrating, since Emerson had been such a fantastic narrator. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I actually liked Kaleb narrating more than Emerson. In Hourglass he was a bit of a mystery, but we really get under his skin and get to know him here. We see past his tough exterior, through his joking, to the deeper, sensitive, and hurting side of him and I really grew to love him as a character.

Timepiece picks up the action right where Hourglass left off and pretty much never stops. The situation becomes a higher risk and more complicated, making my head spin while dragging me deeper into the story. Time travel is a fascinating subject by itself, but Myra McEntire takes it into it's own league of interesting.

Timpiece has completely avoided any fear of a sophomore slump with it's higher stakes and non-stop action. All of your favorite characters are back and doing what they do best. Everything I loved about Hourglass is there, just with a new, even more engaging narrator and a story that will keep you riveted.

Risk a paper cut? Fans of Hourglass will absolutely not be disappointed and will be left dying for more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment