Thursday, December 22, 2016

Picture Books You Should Definitely Read--Even If You're Not a Kid

As a kid's lead at Barnes & Noble, I read a lot of picture books. I try to look at all the new stuff coming is as I shelve it, but I also pick books for our weekly storytime. And, of course, I want to read books that I enjoy, and ones that my kids will like hearing. I mean, I've always liked picture books, but working with them so much for work has heightened my appreciation a lot.

So, here is a selection of picture books that I think are worth checking out, no matter what your age:


We Found a Hat by Jon Klassen - This is the third of Klassen's hat books, and they're all gems. The illustrations are simple but eye-catching, and you can get a little bit ridiculous reading aloud--and those are the best books

The Night Gardener by The Fan Brothers - This is one I've been in love with since first seeing the cover. The art in this is just captivating, and I'd love to have several pages as prints. The story is a simple and lovely one.


There Is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems - I've got serious love for the Elephant & Piggie books. They've all got sweet messages, but the text is very simple, so younger kids can enjoy it. The best part, though, is how fun they are to read aloud! There's yelling and weird sounds and funny voices--and it's the best. Obviously all of Mo Willems' books sell well, but I kind of think these are better than the Pigeon books? (Maybe that's just me...)

The Very Fluffy Kitty by A.N. Kang - I've been more than obsessed with this since I first saw it. I mean, look at that kitty! He's SO FLUFFY HE FLOATS. The art throughout is so precious, and it's just this happy little picture book that's absolutely charming.


Eloise by Kay Thompson - Honestly, I could never get through a picture book recommendation without mentioning Eloise. There is not a more fun picture book out there. Eloise is a character I always loved because she was messy and ridiculous. She lives the life all little girls would want, though, and she does it with joy. Plus, the illustrations are FAB.

John, Paul, George & Ben by Lane Smith - This is not a new book, but it was new to me this year. While it appealed to me, because there's so much humor in the illustrations and text that I knew the kids wouldn't get, I was afraid my kids wouldn't get it, since they're not even preschoolers. BUT, this book got the loudest laughs out of them I've ever had. That makes it great in my book!


I love picking for storytime, because it lets me read a bunch of books, plus I get the chance to read them aloud, which is exactly how picture books should be read. And these are just a small few of my favorites! What are some of your favorite picture books?

No comments:

Post a Comment