Friday, May 24, 2013

Let's Talk About... Choosing Your Next Book

I know, I know, this seems like a weird thing to "discuss", but as I'm sitting here, trying to figure what to post about for Friday (today!), I can't help but let my mind wander to what I'm going to read next. (Hint: I'm writing this Thursday night, so greetings from the past!) I finished The 5th Wave Wednesday night, and it was excellent. But now I still haven't picked my next book to read.

It's not like I don't have two hundred books all of kinds sitting around, waiting to be read. Some of them are review books, some aren't.

Oddly enough, picking my next book is quite a challenge for me. I don't read on a schedule, like a lot of bloggers do. I know that if I force myself to read things--aside from what I have to read for school--I will read so slowly that I'll get desperately behind, or my mood will affect my enjoyment of a book. (This happened with The Iron Prince most recently.) So without a schedule, I pick my next read when it becomes necessary.

The problem is, I don't know what to read! I'm a mood reader (Just like I'm a mood eater, but that's different...) A lot of times I'm in the mood for a specific type of book, and if I don't have any of that kind, I'll go out and find one. But other times I'm not in the mood for anything specific, so nothing jumps out at me as something I must read. Everything sounds okay, but nothing sounds like it's going to knock my socks off.

When I get like this, I pick up between three and six different books (on average), read a page or two, and put them down again. Eventually, something catches my fancy and I go on, but the couple of days that I don't have a book to be immersed in are the worst.

Anyways, this doesn't feel much like a discussion, does it? More like a mope. Oh well! I want to know how you pick your next book! Do you read on a schedule? Or do you just pick up what sounds interesting? Also, is there anything that's mind-blowingly awesome that I should be reading? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment